Introduction to my understanding of Arts

 Hi,

My name is Roberts Kalkis (Kaļķis:Latvian), I am from Riga, which is the capital city of a small country located on the Eastern Shore of the Baltic sea - Latvia. We Latvians are proud and most of us have a great education, so art is a common topic people talk about. If you ever go to Riga there is a huge Arts museum full of many different types of art - sculptures, paintings and some abstract art. I am a senior student at University of Alaska Fairbanks and chose it mainly because of the possibility to play hockey and get a great education at the same time. I am really excited to learn new things and study parts of art that I might not be familiar with, so I would have better conversations for back home. 


"The Kiss" -Gustav Klimt

This is by far my favorite painting, mostly because I grew up looking at it in my parents bedroom, they had a copy of it framed as a painting. Also recently saw that a really important person in my life had a notebook, with "The Kiss" on the cover, so took it as a sign I should decide on this work of art to be displayed in my first post. 

I guess I already mentioned that we talk about art comfortably back home, but I cannot say that I am the biggest fanatic. I like to draw, but I would not consider myself an artist.

Latest arts article I explored

 Hopefully you found my first post to be somewhat interesting and now better understand my background and relationship with arts!

See you on the next post! 

 -Rob

Comments

  1. Hi,
    This is the test comment! Proud of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't too often that you have two students from Latvia in the same class. I assume that you and Markuss know each other. I love "The Kiss" . There's a lot of tension in this work. Do you see it? Wonderful link in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roberts. I really enjoyed your blog. My favorite Klimt piece is the Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I which I think is also referred to as Woman in Gold. Your article on the return of a Klimt painting sold under duress during WWII was a very good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WW1 Influence on Early Modern art

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era

Non-Western traditional art